Re: Re: Euphorbia 'Blue Haze'

Since I'm always interested in a new euphorb, thought I'd see if I
could find out what species this was.  Plant Delights says it's a
hybrid between:

Euphorbia seguieriana ssp. niciciana,  Siberian Spurge,  Zone: 6-10.
  Hardy to below 0 degrees F.. Eurasia. (this info. from a web site I

E. nicaeensis, which is of European of Mediterranean origin but I
can't tell where as I don't read the languages the sites are in that
seem to have descriptive material.  Mediterranean covers a lot of
territory and hardiness of these plants varies with the elevation
where they are endemic.  Most Med. plants like a rather dry winter
period and/or need very sharp drainage.  The species does not seem to
be commercially available in the US tho' several UK nurseries list

Given this, my take is that it is going to be iffy for you; will
really depend on which genes dominate in the cross.  Now, maybe if
you site it well and give it *very* sharp winter drainage it would be
OK, but it also might not be.  The site of the company that
introduced it doesn't say anything about hardiness.  But, if
Crownsville says they were told z 5, it is possible, but IMO not
probable unless growing conditions are optimum:-)  Since Crownsville
moved up to the mountains last year, z 6 instead of the 7 where they
used to be, they will probably be able to test it out in their
gardens in a year or so to find out whether it takes z 6.

I grow a lot of E. characias which crossed itself a bit with the E.
wulfenii I used to have.  Mild winters, the older plants mostly come
through but I'd take a guess I've lost them this winter.  Generally,
some seedlings will survive but these are of Med. origin, so I am
cautious with others that hail from that climate area.

Neat form, tho' from the photo on the Plant Delights site.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :