Re: NE weather was-Snow, Eva?

In a message dated 01/25/2004 9:42:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> Eva are you considered part of the nasty artic blast in the east? News
> reports here stating temps at -29F, add the wind chill and burrrr.
>
> Do we have anyone on the list in that area?

Not that far north, but above Eva, in the lower Hudson Valley we have been
having a brutal winter.  Cold into the teens in early December, followed by more
than a foot of snow.  Then  around Christmas it warmed up and rained.  All
the snow melted, and there were even some nights when it didn't freeze.  Temps
up into the  60s. Some shrubs were budding, and a few bulbs pushing up. Then
with the ground all bare, around January 7 it fell to negative numbers, and has
been above freezing only one day since.  We did have about  4 inches of snow
last week, but there were ten days of brutal cold with no  snow cover.  I'm
afraid we will lose lots of things this year that usually survive.  It was below
zero this morning, but is predicted to snow tonight and be milder next week,
like up to maybe 34 degrees by Thursday.  The cold I can live with, but very
cold temperatures when the ground is bare make me  unhappy.  I tell myself if I
lose a lot of plants it gives me more room to try something new.
Auralie