Re: Tampa Bay/fat plants

Thanks for the reference, Noreen. I just placed an order with Amazon [$85.00, but it's probably the only way I'll keep them straight].

Weather has turned delightful today--after near frost for the last several weeks. Today, there is a warm southern breeze off the Gulf.

One interesting exhibit at the Show yesterday was by a grower of piccabeen palms [Archontophoenix cunninghamiana]. They are nice palms, a lot like the queen palm but with more class, more stateliness. Anyway, the grower told me that he has had them survive brief periods of 27-degree weather in 3-gallon pots. If true, they would likely survive brief periods of 25-degree weather when planted in the ground [roots get much colder in pots than they do in soil]. And that would mean it's worth chancing them in coastal Georgia and South Carolina, as well as all of the Gulf states.