Re: habitat/ponds

Donna, it's just like when you shut off your pumps up north for the winter.
Same principle.  If there are sufficient plants, and minimal fish, then the
plants (oxygenators)  create oxygen during the day.  There is ample surface
space.  One just has to have a good balance.

The only ponds that have pumps in them are the two larger in ground ponds,
since they have goldfish, one butterfly Koi, and turtles.  I do also like the
sound of the water, and get plenty of that with just the two ponds.....each one
has a stream and a separate spill off of some sort (waterfall, whiskey barrel,
etc.). The streams help to filter the water, as well as each spill off going
through a bio-filter.  All the other in ground and container ponds have no
pumps at all.

I don't have typical  Koi ponds, per se.  As you know, Koi need much more
filtration and oxygen than other pond fish, especially in our heat....and since
Koi are known to eat plants, there usually are fewer plants in these ponds.
My ponds are all watergardens though, rather than fish ponds, so have much more
plant material than anything else.  The plants act as natural filtration and
produce oxygen.   My ponds are always clear, and with the coverage of the
plants the water stays cool.  I don't have any cold blooded fish (goldfish or Koi)
in these ponds, but rather Gambusi (native mosquito fish) and in the warmer
months a few tropical fish, like Bettas, or Gourami, etc.  These particular
tropical fish are anabantoids and don't require as much filtration or aeration as
many others might.  So between minimal fish and tons of plants, the ponds
stay clear.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 1/26/2004 8:38:33 AM Central Standard Time,