From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Richard T. Apking
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 3:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] NWF habitat certification - pond heater

Hi Eva,

I use a floating stock tank heater, not a real big one, and it doesn't
seem to make any impact on my electric bill.  I think the secret here is
to make sure that you clean the element real well in the spring when you
remove it. I soak the element (which is covered with lime and crud) in
vinegar for a couple of days and brush it clean.  I imagine that the
lime works as an insulator, so you use more electricity for the same
effect.  Good Luck. Rich in Z-5 where there is a foot of new snow on the
ground and still coming down.