Re: Singing Springs

Amending my last, Auntie Lou is a Cordyline terminalis selection. Beautiful, broad, mostly purple leaves. Easily propagated from cane cuttings.

On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 06:16 PM, Kitty wrote:

Ceres,

A-Z says Cordylines are propagated by seed in spring at 61 degrees and by
removing well-rooted suckers in spring.

Here's a step-by-step on propagating Cordylines:
http://snipurl.com/43c5

Your Red Sensation, I think, is a C. australis cultivar.  I Found this
mention for it:  "Propagate by removing suckers in spring."

Some other comments I came across:

I take cuttings any time, put either in a bucket of water till roots emerge
or plant straight into the ground, I usually take the top part where the
flower is, cut the flower off; the rest of the plant reshoots; the easiest
plant to propagate!...I usually tend to plant my cuttings directly into
potting mix instead of striking in water... potash which is very good for
producing colour in Cordylines...Like several of the dracaena and yucca
species, ti plant can also be propagated from cane pieces (large leafless
stem cuttings) ranging from a few inches to much larger.

Propagation: Ti (Cordyline terminalis or fruticosa) is easy to propagate
from stem cuttings, called "logs." Cut 3-5" sections of mature stem, remove
the leaves, and place on a bed of sand, preferably with bottom heat. The
"eyes" on the stem cuttings will grow into shoots with leaves. When a shoot
gets 4-6 leaves, cut it and its eye from the log, and root in potting medium
as you would any cutting.

Kitty