Re: was NE weather, now bamboo suppliers

My research also tells me that the rhizomes will burrow up to 3 ft to get under a barrier, too. (Of course, it is a characteristic that is probably species specific...)
Cathy
On Sunday, January 25, 2004, at 06:13 PM, Donna wrote:

Better have a high lip or those suckers will jump over the liner and
take over the pond. One member did this and had a very big mess, swears
they are worse than cattails...

Donna

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 1:34 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] was NE weather, now bamboo suppliers

Eva, a bamboo nursery down here [which wouldn't do for your needs]
contain running bamboos with neoprene pond liner. Since the rhizomes
are not deep, it seems to work.

On Sunday, January 25, 2004, at 01:58 PM, EvaTEsq@aol.com wrote:

We have been hit badly from the arctic blast.  It has been bitterly
cold this
month, and the even colder, biting wind that has been coming down
from
the
north has been absolutely brutal, though Boston, Mass. has had much
colder
weather then we have had.

I expect that in the Spring I will find that I lost alot of plants
this
winter.

So, I have been thinking of planting a clumping variety of bamboo
near
the
pond.  Does anyone know of any good suppliers?  I did some
preliminary
research
online this morning, but I have only been able to find nurseries
that
sell the
running bamboo varieties.  I have enough weeds to fight in my yard
--
the
last thing I need to battle with is an invasive bamboo.

In a message dated 1/25/2004 8:18:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,