Re: Amer. Gardener article/Wild Greens

All the trees I have ivy growing on have a section from ground to
about 5' off the ground that is only stems - the foliage was munched
for so many years, the vines just gave up trying to leaf out there.
They also denuded ivy growing as groundcover, so my herd wasn't as
lazy as yours:-)  They regularly gave my Lirope a haircut in winter,
which I didn't mind, really, as it has to have one...just wish they
were neater about doing it.  Not so pleased when they'd eat it in
summer, which they would periodically.

Stachys is what I was calling lamb's ears.  I'm sure you know they
don't eat any Narcissus family and I don't remember them going after
anything in the Allium family, either.  Tulips and lilies are another
matter; deer candy.  Adding to my list - they never went for any of
my barberries although thorns don't seem to deter them at all; in
fact, I think they consider them rather a condiment.  I've seen them
spend half an hour or more at a time scarfing mile a minute vine and
multiflora roses, both very prickly plants.

They do not eat Lindera benzoin (native spice bush) and they never
hit my Spirea, Kolkwitzia, Deutzia nor Weigelia.  Never ate Artemisia
'Powis Castle', either.  One of these years, I need to compile a list
of the plants they never touched...not to say they wouldn't in some
other garden, but it might be useful.

Trouble with deer is that  you can never guess what they will try
next.  They'll go for years not touching something and then one year
just mow it down.  And, what they don't eat, they stomp on or as
Cathy noted, rub it to death.  Really got my goat when they stomped a
special double yellow Hellebore 6" into the ground one year.  Oddly
enough, tho' the Hellebore survived and is still with me...sorta set
it back a bit, but it lived.  I was not, however, pleased.

It is way too bad that you can't fence as that works a treat and
makes such a difference to the quality of the gardener's life:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
>
> You're right, Marge, they don't eat my Pachysandra, or the
Lily-of-the-Valley
> - both of which grow like weeds in my driveway and around the
boulders.  And
> they don't seem to touch the Vinca.  But again, I think it's
because they are
> too lazy to stoop that far unless they're starving.  They really
eat just what
> is at nose level.  There is a ten-or-eleven-foot boulder by our
drive covered
> with Hedera helix (don't have a clue as to variety - my sons gave
me a pot
> from the dime-store for Mother's Day when they were small, maybe
30-35 years
> ago).   In the winter there is a three-foot band eaten bare from
about two feet
> above the ground to five feet - lush foliage both below and above.
> And, no, they don't eat Lamb's ears if we are talking about the
same thing.
> There are a couple of plants that go by that name - Stachys lanata
is one and
> I can't at the moment remember the other, but it is low-growing
with large,
> furry leaves.  Once again they would have to bend down to eat it.
Don't touch