Re: Singing Springs

Most Heucheras are commonly named as some form of Alum Root.  For the most
part, only cultivars of H. sanguinea and crosses that include H. sanguinea
are actually Coral Bells, but these make up a large part of what you will
find on the market.

However, common names are just that, common to a locale.  If you call
Heuchera glabra, Coral Bells, well, it is the common name to you.  But, just
as it is important to know the botanical name to be sure you're discussing
the same plant with a friend, accuracy in common names is important as well.
The modifiers are important as you can see below.  Too many gardeners only
bother to learn the main part of a name and we lose so much without the
modifiers.  Even though it is Roundleaf Alum Root, I would much prefer
someone say of H. cylindrica, "This is *a* Coral Bell.", so the recipient
knows it may be one kind of many, rather than, "This is Coral Bells.", which
leads to confusion because it doesn't look like any Coral Bells the
recipient has ever seen.

H.  americana = Alum Root, Rock Geranium, American Sanicle
H.  bracteata = Bracted Alum Root
H.  chlorantha = Meadow Alum Root, Narrow-flowered Alum Root
H.  cylindrica = Lava Alum Root, Roundleaf Alum Root
H.  glabra = Alpine Alum Root, Smooth Alum Root
H. grossularifolia = Gooseberry-leaved Alum Root
H.  hirsutissima = Idyllwild Rock Flower
H. longiflora = Long-flowered Alum Root
H. longiflora var. aceroides = Mapleleaf Alum Root
H.  maxima = Island Alum Root
H.  merriamii = Siskiyou Alum Root
H.  micrantha = Small Flowered Alum Root
H.  richardsonii = Prairie Alum Root, Midland Alum Root
H.  rubescens glandulosa = Jack O The Rocks
H. parviflora = Littleleaf Alum Root
H.  parvifolia = Common Alum Root, Small-leaved Alum Root
H.  pilosissima = Hairy Alum Root
H.  pulchella = Coral Bells
H.  sanguinea =  Coral Bells
Heuchera villosa = Hairy Allumroot