Re: was NE weather, now bamboo suppliers

Right, Marge, they ain't cheap. I'm only familiar with three clumpers--Buddha belly, oldhamii, and golden--all suitable for this area, although I expect oldhamii [which is a timber bamboo, 50-60 feet tall with 6 inch diameter culms] is hardy a couple of zones north of here. It's a native of Japan and in its native habitat puts up with snow.

Anyway, the price is more than $100 [retail] for any of them in 7-gallon size. I think I paid about $50 for my 3-gallon Buddha belly.

Another thing to consider with bamboo is soil. When I lived in the central valley of California, which is adobe to the center of the earth, I had a very nice, small stand of black bamboo, a runner. And in that impervious soil, it was quite easy to keep it from running anywhere. But I'd be an idiot to plant it here in this black sand. It would confiscate every square inch and them some by a week from Saturday.