Re: habitat/ponds/plants

Water hyacinth has to be the most invasive plant on the planet. Some idiot threw some into our pond at the nursery and it quickly blanketed the surface. We skimmed out the first batch, but it quickly grew back. So we gave it a dose of roundup. Not especially good for the tilapia or the alligator, but the weed are probably harder on them. It sure does have a beautiful bloom, though.

Yes, I've read about the City of San Diego [I think] using them to reclaim sewage water, then harvesting them and turning them into silage for hogs. It was a demonstration project. Don't know whatever happened to it. My thought at the time was they ought to have then used the hog manure to produce methane and used the methane to generate electricity to run the treatment plant. But I was just a sheep farmer at the time, fixing most of life's annoying problems with baling wire.