Re: update on garden/bottle brush

Unfortunately, when people buy homes, they look at the price of trees and decide to wait until they can afford them. What they fail to realize is the value trees ultimately add. I once read that those having a house built should plant trees before investing in a lawn or other landscaping, and do it even before they move in.
On Thursday, January 29, 2004, at 06:01 AM, Donna wrote:

Maybe I should have been more specific... I live in a newer subdivision,
actually on the street between the old homes and new ones. The older
homes all have stately trees, pines and assorted plant material, most of
those homes are in the 100yr old range. The new subdivision folks have
really not planted trees. On my lot I have planted 10 trees, but 2
didn't make it. I don't have a huge place, and the pond takes up about a

Of course sitting in the cold here, I have big plans of getting the
finishing touches on some areas and planting others. I am on a 2005
deadline so hoping the weather this season cooperates. We are on a
national tour next year (garden railroads) and I have to get some things
done.... one way or another. Of course DH never finished the revamp of
the train layout yet either....

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 11:16 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] update on garden/bottle brush

Anti-tree?  Now that's strange and interesting.  Don't think I've
heard of that before...seems like mostly people are gung ho to plant
huge, inappropriate forest type trees on small suburban lots.

So, are those just big shrubs I think I see in that photo of yours -
looks like across the street?  Do you have any trees?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>

Not sure Ceres.. most folks here are anti tree. (which I will never
understand) and maybe a half dozen folks have planted a tree other
the ones the contractor did in the parkways. We don't seem to have
problem at the nature center, but that is miles away from me.