Re: habitat/ponds/plants

I lived in St. John's and close to Petty Harbour from 1953 to 1956.  At
that time, there were no roads across the provence...only railroad...so we
didn't get to visit too much.  Television hadn't come yet (but the radio
was wonderful) and there was only one modern grocery in the capital.  There
were still those old fashioned meat markets where meat hung from hooks, and
corner stores that weighed out cheese and flour.  Coal was delivered by
horse and cart and all funerals used caissons.  For me, it was like going
back 50 years.

During one of the winters, the winds blew all the ice westward and locked
everything in.  (Usually, the winds were toward the East...we could see the
icebergs but they usually went on out to sea).  No ships could get through,
planes couldn't land...too foggy...we ate sea rations.  Natives walked
across the ice from Bell Island to get food.  It lasted a week.

Interesting historical item...when the Titanic was sinking, fishermen from
Petty Harbor could see the lights but couldn't get out to help them due to
wave action.

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN