From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:54:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bamboo and Chicago

Donna,<br>Short articles grab attention but don't give enough
detail.<br>" bamboo absorbs pollutants and converts them into
nutrients"<br>I'd want to know more. It was my understanding that most
plants used for<br>such projects are removed after taking up the toxins
and replaced with more<br>to take up more. And how safe would the plants
be for kids to be around?<br>I'd also want to know what kind of barriers
would be used to halt escape.<br>Madake = Phyllostachys
Original Message ----- <br>From: "Donna" <justme@prairieinet.net><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 8:49
discussions, thought some might be interested in seeing<br>this article
below.<br>><br>> Somehow this disturbs me... I can see it taking over
Bamboo 'Cleans' Urban Soil<br>><br>> CHICAGO (UPI) -- Three graduate
students at the University of Illinois<br>> at Chicago may have found a
solution to the widespread problem of<br>> contaminated urban soil.
Their solution, submitted as an entry in last<br>> week's Chicago
Sustainable Design Initiative competition, entails<br>> growing bamboo
on polluted lots, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. The<br>> students
claim their solution to so-called brown fields beats the usual<br>> "dig
and haul" method that deposits the contaminated soil in a landfill.<br>>
Instead, bamboo absorbs pollutants and converts them into
Madrigal, all master's degree<br>> candidates, found two kinds of bamboo
plants, Moso and Madake, that can<br>> survive 15-below-zero winters.
Seeds and small plants are available from<br>> growers in Ohio and on
the West Coast. "We can use the seed from our<br>> initial crop to
increase the supply and achieve economies of scale

,"<br>> Butt said. Up to 8 feet tall and green, bamboo farms could
change the<br>> look of Chicago's vacant lots. "Planted in between
houses, it would<br>> serve as a windbreak, reducing energy costs," Butt

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com