Re: Bamboo and Chicago

The story reminds me of a line from Pope: "a little learning is a dangerous thing". There is no mention of the bamboo's ability to tolerate heat, no mention of it's tendency to run, and no mention of the fact that bamboo rarely flowers...and most, when they do so, die! On the other hand, bamboo does make a wonderful floor! There are some that have edible culms (good way to keep what you have under control), but for the life of me, I can't recall the species.
I have Phyllostachys aureosulcata where I can mow around it, and I planted our only native bamboo, Arundinaria gigantea in the shade, which it dislikes, and considering it is at the upper limit of its range, I think it can be managed.
Cathy