Re: tree list

Thanks, Chris...

Well, seems to me you have a perfect opportunity for doing something
interesting there.  Why not do the fencing and grow some vines up it?
 Would it get any sun at all?  Or, since your neighbor's house is
rather a blank slate, just put up posts and beams and grow vines on
them and some shrubs beneath.  You could do something that became a
sort of framed picture from your window...a focal point for you to
look at from the kitchen.  Flowering vines and/or a combination of
those that flower with those with neat foliage would give you a
changing view throughout the year as well as providing attractions
for birds who like to nest in vines.

Vines and shrubs would put their flowers up at your eye level more
than smaller perennials and if grown in the ground, wouldn't require
as much attention to watering as something in a planter would.

The palette of vines for no sun is more limited than for some sun or
full sun, but there are still several that ought to grow where you
are....you're like colder end of z7 aren't you?

What's the soil like?  Is it wet or just potentially wet if you get a
flood?  Do you get floods often?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
> From: Chris <chris@widom-assoc.com>
>
> Marge,
>
> What a great list!  I have a neighbor's house only twenty feet fro
my
> kitchen window.  All I see is never used side garage door and grey
> siding.  Our properties are long and narrow, ending at the beach.
We