RE: habitat/ponds

It is much easier to catch a koi by hand then with a net... they see the
net and you would swear there was not one fish in that pond. The main
reason of touching them is to check for parasites and give them the once
over for illness. Some are friendlier than others.

I lost most of my big ones last summer in the heat, didn't realize how
many fish were in there, and not enough oxygen for them. I lost like 20
of them overnight, and numerous smaller ones. In my panic stage, I also
removed more and put them into my mothers pond since she didn't have any
fish. I thought I was down to 5 fish, and DH decided to drain the pond
while I was out of town and connect the train display into it. It needed
a good cleaning and revamp of some areas that were collector areas of
rubbish. (bad design).... well when the water got to be 18 inches, found
out we still had over a hundred fish. As he was telling me this on the
phone, I inquired if he got rid of the rest... nope, didn't do anything
but refill the pond. Urgh! He did more harm than good and this spring I
am going to have to drain it again.

Donna