Re: trees and other design elements

I think that's probably right, Kitty. Most people want their property to look just like every other piece of property on their street. Some kind of safety in numbers. There are probably 200 houses in the development I live in and only three or four of them are "different." And only two that have done away with the front lawn.

Most of the landscapes we do at work [that's three or four a week], are cookie-cutter designs for cookie-cutter tract houses in named, often gated, developments. $5,000 worth of trees and shrubs, 4,000 square feet of lawn [usually St. Augustine "Floratam"], and a $2,500 irrigation system. Most of this stuff, which is selected and approved by the house buyer, is rolled into the mortgage loan. Most builders pay for the lawn and the irrigation outright, and grant the house buyer an "allowance" for the shrubs and trees, all of which are included in the sales price of the house. The only additional cost the buyer may encounter is any landscaping beyond what is covered by their allowance.

I called where I live a development, and it is, but it's an old one, developed back before real estate marketers hit upon the notion of giving every group of 12 streets some kind of development name--I suppose because it sounds more appealing to advertise "a Home in Pelican Point" than "a house on Darwin Street."

One other comment: Even among the moneyed clients, there are very few who have wanted gardens, except for rose gardens, herb gardens, fruit orchards, and the like. In five years, we've had a total of one person who wanted a cut-flower garden and no more than five who wanted all shrubs and trees [no lawn], four if I can't count the guy whose only lawn was a putting green.