Re: Amer. Gardener article/Wild Greens

Marge, the way most of my azaleas are situated doesn't lend itself to
fencing.  They are massed - about six bushes - around the base of an old Black Birch
tree that is growing almost on top of a rock outcropping toward one side of
our so-called lawn (at least it's a green, open space).  The downhill side of
the cluster has more shade-loving things (several ferns, wild sarsparilla -
can't remember the botanical name and I'm too lazy to look it up right now - and a
couple of native deciduous azaleas, a small dogwood, etc.), because there is
a large White Pine just beyond it. As I have said before, I'm not
"landscaped."  Things are really sited by where I can dig a hole among the rocks.  There
is a very large azalea in front of the house which the deer only nibble from
the drive.  None of these are fancy named varieties.  The ones in back I bought
the year we moved in here - 1970 - for about $1.00 apiece from a local store -
like 3" pots.  They did very well until the deer got so bad about 15 years
ago.  The one in front was here when we moved in, but just a very scrawny plant
with two or three branches.  My DH said we should just yank it out and replace
it, but I'm too soft-hearted, and said let it go and see if I can bring it
back.  It came back very well and is about 6 feet in all dimensions.  I have no
idea what it is - a fairly bright apricot shade.

I have several deciduous azaleas - native species - which the deer don't seem
to bother.  The two I know are R. calendulaceum (sp?), and R. viscosum.  The
first is a brilliant red-orange, and the viscosum is white and fragrant.  Both
bloom much later than the cultivated ones  -  late June or early July.
Another is a soft yellow with orange markings.  I  know it's a native species, but
I'm not sure which - they do hybridize among themselves.  Then I have another
that I have never been able to pin down - deciduous, blooms quite early, has
large lavender blooms.  My one good named azalea is a 'Hilda Niblett' but she
lives in the vegetable garden.

Yew is really a deer favorite.  Nurseries around here don't even carry it any
more for that reason.  They haven't bothered my junipers, hemlocks or white
pine, but did a job on my Japanese black pine a few years ago.  Now a
miscanthus grows in front of it and it's tall enough they can't reach the branches.

We got about 10" of snow the other day, and it's been quite cold since -
promises to get above freezing by early next week, but who knows if spring will
ever get here.
Stay warm,
Auralie