Re: zygo

Of course I don't have much blooming up here in the frozen north, not
having a greenhouse - just an African violet and a bunch of Aloes -
'Flurry,' 'Hey Babe,' and another I don't have a name for - but today
I do have a camellia, and another will open by tomorrow.  I may have
told about this plant once before - if I repeat myself, chalk it up to
old age.  My father who died in '81, sent me two seeds with the
message "See if you can grow these - they might be something
special." I stuck them in pots with other plants, and when the first
came up I had forgotten about them and snatched it out, thinking
it was a squirrel-planted tree seedling.  When I saw the seed still
attached to the root I realized what it was, but it was too late - the
fragile stem was broken.  I was more alert when the other came up
and grew it on.  It had problems of all sorts - a house-sitter nearly
finished it off one time, and various accidents befell it, but it has
been a tough plant, and blooms every winter.  I think it must be a
sasanqua (sp?) type - single pink with bright gold stamens - about
3 1/2 inches across.  Very delicate, but beautiful.  It took me a
few years to realize what was special about it.  This is a weeping
form.  These may be common, but I never saw one before.  The
plant has never been more than two feet high above the soil line
of the pot, but it spreads to about four feet wide.  At least I have
to keep it pruned to that to give it house room.  The stems are
quite contorted, which makes it a very thick plant.  I leave
it out on the front stoop until frost is threatened, then put it in the
enclosed, but unheated entry way until the temps drop into the
low twenties.  After that it sits inside in a not very good place for
plants - not in a window, but at least away from heat sources.
I realize that this is not very proper care, horticulturally, but it
has worked for years.  And it is a real bright spot in my life.

In a message dated 01/01/2005 5:33:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,