To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] was Northern vs. Southern Blooms now Giant Red Mustard

I usually start with a bit of olive oil and chopped onion in a heavy
iron pot over moderate to low heat. I wash the greens (reds?),
bundle them into bunches which I cut crossways into half-inch
strips and add to the pot. The water that clings to the leaves
should be enough until they begin to release their own juices -
if not I add a bit of canned chicken broth. If I have a bit of ham
or pork I add that. Sometimes I start with a center-cut boneless
pork chop sliced into thin strips, browned a bit with the oil and
onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper - I use a bit of
Tabasco, too. Don't need to cook too long. I usually put a small
skillet of cornbread in a hot oven when I start to prepare the greens.
By the time the cornbread is done, the greens will be, too.
Good eating!
Auralie

In a message dated 01/03/2005 10:07:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,