Re: Re: was Northern Blooms now Northern vs. Southern Blooms

Daryl,
Sorry, I guess I was assuming some things.

Here's what Gene said:
"Your mention of Lonicera fragrantissima is about the 3rd or 4th time the
name has come up of late. What can you tell be about this one? Personal
experience over how long a period of time? Working on my real winter
bloomers for the garden.... again
    If you are not growing the Helleborus foetidus you are missing a good
bet. In bud since mid December, some are opening now. Went untouched by our
snow and cold snap. Among the best of the best in the foliage department.
Long narrow serrated leaves on stalks about 2 feet in height ... sometimes
more. About that or a bit more in width. Blooms are green bells sometimes
rimed in bronze. Winter foliage is almost olive-black with a sheen and the
blooms stalk is bright yellow-green. Cool!"
_____+++++++++
When someone refers to Lonicera, a shrub or vine, I - and I thought most
people - think in terms of singles. When someone refers to Helleborus,
perennials, the plural comes to mind. When Pam wrote "they fry", I
intuited the Hellebores rather than the Lonicera. As an example, in
Gene's words above, he wrote, "Lonicera fragrantissima ...What can you
tell be about this ONE?". When he later wrote of the Hellebores,
"Helleborus foetidus ...SOME are opening now."

There is no hard and fast rule - no rule at all really - just the manner
in which I've heard gardeners talk or write. From Pam's clarification,
it appears she did mean the Hellebores. Perhaps I shouldn't have jumped
in to explain on her behalf, though. Sorry.

Kitty