Re: hydrangea recommendation??

I know a girl that has planted a garden to withstand her dog. She used wire panels that she cut to insert around the plant while the plant was small. As the plant grows the dog got used to not running through the plants and the plant hid the wire. When I first saw it I didn't know if it would work but it really looks great now. She said she left a running area behind where she planted so that the dog has a place to run. I think she mulches that area pretty heavy.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa" <tchessie@comcast.net>
To: "GardenChat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 9:37 PM
Subject: [CHAT] hydrangea recommendation??

For zone 8-9 (Stockton, CA) in partial shade. Prefer blue. A sturdy hard-to-kill variety.

Trying to help a friend out finding some plants that might survive her care : )

Also, other recommendations for shrubs that do well in shade, can stand up to the potential of a dog occassionally running through them, and require minimal care? Something that flowers, or has some other interest would be nice! The house is rather mediteranean looking.

I'm thinking about majonia, camelia, but looking for more ideas....