Re: books

Kitty, Amazon offers free shipping on most orders greater than $25. The trick is you have to request it at checkout.
zem
----- Original Message ----- From: <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] books

I used one of those sites that searches 100 bookstores for best price.
It said the Amazon price (about 5th best ) included free shipping. But
it doesn't. The book is over 1000 pages and is exempt from free shipping
and adds a surcharge of a couple of $ to the regular shipping rate.
Hmmmmm....

I checked Abe's and they show 3 sellers, all $60 to 80 for the 2004 edition. None of the older one available.

Kitty
Don't overlook Abe's Books. It's a clearing house for used book
dealers. My experience has been better prices than Amazon [did I
mention better service? Still waiting for Amazon to ship something I
ordered and paid for in December. They keep moving the ship date--now
it's something like February 7].

On Tuesday, January 11, 2005, at 11:05 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

> Several of mine, like Hortus Third, and the 1950 edition of Joy of
> Cooking
> are held together by heavy rubber bands. Rebinding is expensive, and
> add to that, the pages are too fragile with age. Searching for a used
> copy is the best bet - Amazon is pretty good at that. In my case, I
> figure
> they'll last as long as I do.
> Auralie
>

> In a message dated 01/11/2005 10:30:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> kmrsy@comcast.net writes:
> BTW - what do you-all do when bindings give out? I haven't checked
> yet but
> assume a rebinding service would be pretty expensive.

> http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W