Re: books

A couple of jobs ago, I worked as a library page, and one duty was to repair
books (new books these days, especially anything on the best seller list,
falls apart after about three circulations).

I used a glue similar to Elmer's (some libraries use Elmer's) to coat both
sides of the binding -- used a small paint brush to spread it around on both
the binding side and the book side.  Then took very heavy rubber bands --
like those that come on broccoli -- to hold the binding to the book.  Set it
down on a flat, dry surface, piled many other books on top for weight, and
left it at least 48 hours.  We saved thousands of dollars in rebinding fees
doing this.  It worked on just about any book I tried -- paper backs, new,
old.  Eventually, I figured out a way to replace individual pages so that it
was almost impossible to tell they had ever been loose.

Now, I never had any book repair classes, so this isn't rocket science.  I
just applied skills I learned living aboard and doing woodwork.  So you
might ask at your local library if they have someone who repairs books who
would like to earn a little extra money, or if they are about to send books
out for binding and would consider including your book in their order.

Or you could send it to me, and I'll try to fix it.  It got to be a real
challenge, and kind of fun.  It cost us $7.00 per book to get them bound,
and in the year I was making the repairs, our order dropped from 20 some
boxes to 3, so we saved a bunch.  And best of all, they are still on the
shelves and circulating

Scottie
Texas Gulf Coast