From: Cathy Carpenter
Sent: 1/16/2005 5:36:47 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] PDN Spring Catalog

We spent a week on Maui - would have been nice to go on an orchid hunt,
but I have no space, and all the big growers are on the Big Island (at
least that has been my experience in the past).  I was last on Maui
about 15 years ago and have things ever changed! Many more condos and
hotels and people. Took the road to Hana and found very few waterfalls
"falling" - the water has been diverted to human and sugar cane use...
Went to the summit of Mt. Haleakala and rejoiced in the view and the
silverswords (Argyroxiphium sandwicense) - saw one in bloom! They are
thought to be descendants of seeds from a California tarweed that
hitched a ride on a bird that somehow was blown to the islands. Have
adapted perfectly to an an alpine environment and are found nowhere
else in the world. Went whale watching and saw some Northern Pacific
Humpbacks, too. Weather was great - upper seventies and only one day of
rain. Now home and playing catch-up.