Re: Weekend Report

Quite a few pictures that I/m trying to sort out. Maybe a couple I'd like you to post.

On Saturday, January 22, 2005, at 09:07 PM, Donna wrote:

Sounds like you had a nice trip!

I always feel that if I learned 'something' then the seminar or class was
worth my time and effort.

So did you take lotsa pictures?

Donna

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 4:45 PM
To: Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Weekend Report

We took a long weekend. Drove down to Naples Botanical Garden for a
hands-on workshop on Tropical Fruit Trees. It turned out to be more of
an introductory tour than I had expected, but it nonetheless taught us
a lot of stuff we didn't know and gave us some ideas for planting the
rest of the plantation.

The fragrant begonias were blooming at the NBG, so we had to find one
of those when we left. We went to a nursery we've been to before [it's
on the road to Marco Island], and sure enough they had one. We bought
it and headed north.

Spent the night in Fort Myers and then drove back to Naples this
morning to visit Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. If any of you get
this far south, make sure that's on your itinerary. It is fantastic.
The native epiphytes--Tillansia--were blooming at this time of year.
There were night herons, lesser blue herons, alligators, and
red-bellied turtles everywhere.

Left Corkscrew and headed to ECHO's tropical fruit nursery. We have
been lusting after a "Carrie" mango for a year or so. ECHO had one this
time. We also bought a "Red Lady" papaya and an Okinawan spinach, which
is a tangy perennial salad green for the subtropics.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a