Re: Re: Clematis

In a message dated 1/24/05 8:26:20 AM, kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

<< It's happened to my C. henryi >>

Kitty, you are speaking of Clematis wilt which causes the foliage to turn
black.  This does not kill the plant but must be cut back to good growth which
could be below soil line.  The large blooming C are prone to that such as henryi
and Nelly Moser.  Plant your clematis deeper to help prevent this.  I'm sure
you know this.
    My favorite C are the vitacella group which are longer, smaller and more
prolific bloomers, generally speaking and are a  3 pruning group (meaning you
prune to within a few nodes of the soil line early spring after growth has
started)  I like this group of Cs  because it gives you a nice clean start with
the new growing season particularly if growing into/with another plant such as
a shrub, rose or another C.
    Ceres