Re: OT - banks

I wouldn't be surprised. I am sick to death of all this outsourcing. I try to be patient with customer service reps who are clearly not native to this country, but there is a definite language gap. DUH!
zem
----- Original Message ----- From: <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT - banks

This has nothing to do with gardening. Today I got a second offer of an
HSBC Mastercard. I didn't want another card but scrutinized the entire
offer and could not discern just who HSBC was. So I grabbed the tiny 10
page "Important Information" brochure and on pag 7 found a reference to
Household Bank (SB), N.A., but that didn't quite match. Hmmmm....So I
picked up the phone and called and asked the young Asian voice, "What
does HSBC stand for?". It's Hongkong Shanghai Banking Corporation. I
checked the website too, and finally found a reference, "The HSBC Group
is named after its founding member, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking
Corporation Limited, which was established in 1865 to finance the
growing trade between China and Europe." they now refer to themselves
as, "We are the world's local bank."

I'm sure their MC is as good as any other, and since all of our big
banks have been gobbled up by bigger banks, there aren't many US banks
left, so there is room for a global Asian bank to move on in. But why do
they hide their name? And where are the jobs located that service these
cards? Are we outsourcing our personal finances to other countries now
too?

Kitty