Re: Re: Clematis/planting deeper

In a message dated 1/24/05 8:44:38 PM, hodgesaa@earthlink.net writes:

<< Please explain the planting deeper thing. >>

Andrea, the web site Kitty gave provides an explanation.  I have always heard
it is an injury and this is one of the reasons I use the landscape pot to
protect the fragile stems from human/animal/insect damage.  I have only
experienced the wilt with one plant & that is Nelly Moser which they say is a hi risk
one.  The wilt did start higher upon the plant & progressed down.  I dealt with
it for several yrs, each time cutting it back & it would regrow but decided
it wasn't worst the trouble & removed it.
    I liked the web site you gave, Kitty, and progressed to the Amer Clematis
Society page.
    When planting a new clematis it is important to pinch out the leaves at a
node to promote branching and a fuller plant.  Vertical plants provide addtl
opportunity for plants and a chance to add decor to the walls of our garden.