Re: OT - banks; Hands Up

So what's the APR?

On Tuesday, January 25, 2005, at 09:32 AM, kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

Poll:
Another way to look at this: I don't really like Bank One for various
reasons, but I use an Amazon Visa issued by Bank One. I just wouldn't be
comfortable handing over a card that said Honkong Shanghai Bank. On the
other hand maybe it would make me feel globally glamorous. Would you
want to carry this card if they spelled out HSBC?

Kitty

I didn't have trouble understanding him and he was quite pleasant to speak
with, but I have actually run into trouble understanding some people who
HAVE BEEN born here. So long as a person can speak distinctly, I don't care
about their nationality. My concern is the jobs we are losing right and
left. I didn't think to ask the HSBC person where he was, though. I do
recall some years back calling HP for assistance; the 800 number rang
through to Ireland. No trouble understanding her. But again, what about
jobs here. We try to save our forests and tell the lumberjack to retrain.
He spends a few years learning computers and finds the job he trained for is
outsourced, so he should just train for something else.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zemuly Sanders"
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - banks

I wouldn't be surprised. I am sick to death of all this outsourcing. I
try
to be patient with customer service reps who are clearly not native to
this
country, but there is a definite language gap. DUH!
zem
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT - banks

This has nothing to do with gardening. Today I got a second offer of an
HSBC Mastercard. I didn't want another card but scrutinized the entire
offer and could not discern just who HSBC was. So I grabbed the tiny 10
page "Important Information" brochure and on pag 7 found a reference to
Household Bank (SB), N.A., but that didn't quite match. Hmmmm....So I
picked up the phone and called and asked the young Asian voice, "What
does HSBC stand for?". It's Hongkong Shanghai Banking Corporation. I
checked the website too, and finally found a reference, "The HSBC Group
is named after its founding member, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking
Corporation Limited, which was established in 1865 to finance the
growing trade between China and Europe." they now refer to themselves
as, "We are the world's local bank."

I'm sure their MC is as good as any other, and since all of our big
banks have been gobbled up by bigger banks, there aren't many US banks
left, so there is room for a global Asian bank to move on in. But why do
they hide their name? And where are the jobs located that service these
cards? Are we outsourcing our personal finances to other countries now
too?

Kitty

Island Jim
Southwest Florida