Re: Re: Clematis

Hello Kitty,
This little clematis has popped up in the seed exchanges for years. Particularly in the North American Rock Garden Society yearly seed list. The wholesaler Blue Bird Nurseries has been working on bringing natives into production and fremontii is one of their successes. You can now see this one pop up every once in a while. I had it in my catalog a couple of years back. They are small, but healthy plants.
There are many species of native clematis no one in the U.S. seems to know about until they read an English gardening book on clematis.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: <kmrsy@comcast.net>
I have purchased C. fremontii a couple of times for our prairie, but
never saw it full grown, so just assumed it was a vine. We list it as
Fremont's Crowfoot. I just checked it at Mobot and it is a lovely shrub
type. I wonder if this is one that the RHS article said was not in
cultivation. Seems strange as I have seen it listed in several
catalogues. The 3 pictures at Mobot show a delightful plant.