To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] ginger instructions

I think curcumas are fantastic. They are not that easy for me, but I don't fuss a lot with my plants. But when they do bloom, they are sensational.

On Monday, January 31, 2005, at 04:55 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

I just purchased (for my MG presentation) some curcuma rhizomes on eBay
from a very friendly, helpful seller. He has a sideline business he
calls "GingersRus". He sends growing instructions on what he refers to
as Beginners Gingers, but does not bother with his Collector and
Advanced series gingers because he figures you know what you're doing.
However, on my invoice was this note:

"If you want, you can now download the
GENERAL instructions for each ginger genus by going to

I thought some of you might find this information helpful. In the
messages we exchanged before I bid, he helped me select the right
variety. The one I was planning on bidding on was a spring bloomer, not
a summer bloomer (my presentation is on summer bloomers) and he said I
would have difficulty getting it to bloom at all up here.

I'm trying to get a few sample geophytes to show at the presentation,
March 4, but that is too early to get shipments from my regular sources
- Brent & Becky's, McClure & Zimmerman, and Odyssey no longer carries a
spring line. So I'm trying eBay along with some from Netherland Bulb
that we are selling. So right now I have Lily bulbs, Curcuma rhizomes,
Colcoasia tuber/corms, Dahlia and Begonia tubers, Calla and Canna
rhizomes, and maybe some Galtonia bulbs. I'd like to get hold of some
Crocosmia or Gladiolus corms this month, but the prices on eBay have
been ridiculous so far when you figure in their shipping.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a