Re: Wisteria training & snags.... Need some help here...

Bonnie, chinese or American wisteria? Isn't it true the chinese is the really tenacious variety that will tear down a building?

David
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 7:57 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Wisteria training & snags.... Need some help here...

I've just found a wisteria I'd like to spend some of my Christmas money on.
Here's the thing; I don't have a really strong support for it to climb and
the chance of getting one made before spring is unlikely with an unheated
garage.

I do have 3 snags on the front corner of the lot where our delightful
utility company chopped on those elms until they finally died. Since the
Wisteria doesn't mind pruning (must have it or it will take over!) and
cutting down the snags will take away possible homes for wildlife (even
though they don't look very attractive) could I top off one of the snags to
20' and plant the wisteria next to it for it to climb on? Then when the
snag does decompose, will the wisteria, having wound its way around the
trunk for those years, be able to stand on its own?

Please let me know what you all think. I've got trees to replace the other
two that are low growing under-story trees and the utility will have no
excuse to touch them!

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)