From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of kmrsy@netzero.net
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 12:36 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Busy weekend

By 'proper cuts' I just meant simple things like angled and the right
distance from the node. Shaping cuts are another matter, and you're
right, difficult to decide. But if you cut some and remove crossers and
in-growers, even if you don't do a perfect shaping job, I'm sure it will
be fine.

Your new-found kitty sounds a bit like my Woody. He had a very large
head, half of it was scar tissue. He'd had a rough time of it after his
owner died and her son turned him out. The last time I saw him he stayed
with me most of the summer of 2004 and was mature and relaxed, but still
getting into fights. Why in the world people don't get these animals
neutered, I just don't understand. If your kitty is neutered, you may be
able to just keep him as a mostly outdoors cat and he may prefer it.

Kitty

-- Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
Yah, it's the "proper types of cuts" that makes me stand there indecisively.
I never feel like my trees are so obliging as to look like the
illustrations. But like you say, I ended up figuring that doing nothing was
worse than doing a little. Same with the roses although they get so huge
over the summer I end up just hacking everything down to waist height and
then doing the selective cutting.
I have two plums that I'm considering replacing. They are semi-dwarf Santa
Rosa plums. One was damaged by insects and we had to remove almost half the
tree a while ago to get rid of the dead wood. The other I bought bare-root
last year from Home Depot, but it barely grew. I was so happy with the
advice and the peach tree I got from Bay Laurel Nursery I thought I might
yank the plums and replace them with something better. But I'm bad at
removing plants, I always think they deserve to live. I decided to give them
another year.
I got a dwarf nectarine as a present and need a place to put it, always a
problem when you need to irrigate everthing. And I have to protect the
jujubes to see if the fruit is worthwhile, they are so thorny that if I
don't like the fruit they are coming out. Didn't get even one jujube last
year, I'm pretty sure the dogs ate them.
Scar tissue, I didn't think about that, could be. Very furry kitty, two
large even round lumps behind each ear, another round lump on one side
beneath the lower jaw. He doesn't object if you press them. My husband
pitched a fit when I brought up bringing kitty home a few weeks back, but
has since grudgingly said I could if I wanted, still he is right it would be
uncomfortable for a while. Kitty has lived outdoors for years apparently but
is extremely friendly and very sedate. I told my sister if she could not
find anyone else I would take him. She can't, her dogs would try to kill him
and he cannot live outside there, coyotes would get him. I already have two
indoor cats so my dogs know they must behave themselves. So we'll see.

Cyndi