Re: crazy weather

> I am at a loss to know what to do, this crazy weather is so strange.
> Most years when we take down the Christmas tree (never got it
> up this year, thanks to Chet's emergency) we cut the branches and
> use them for mulch in the perennial beds.  The ground should be
> frozen hard by then.  Well, we had record cold - single digits - in
> early December - way too soon - followed by eight inches of snow.
> So far, so good.  Now for the past two weeks the weather has been
> balmy - often not below freezing even at night.  In some places
> where the plow piled snow from the drive, and in heavy shade,
> there is still a bit of snow, but in most places it is gone and the
> ground is mushy. I don't know if it is frozen below the first few
> inches or not.  I don't want to mulch if it will keep the ground
> from freezing later - don't know what to do.  Any ideas?
> Auralie

Hi Auralie,

   I'm having the same problems here.  The recent warm spell has actually
   forced some of the stuff in the cold frame to leaf out.  I'm concerned
   for the hosta that are in there!

   I would still go around and mulch.  I think it's going to get cold
   again in February and any mulch that you add won't be enough to stop
   the ground from freezing.

Chris