Re: Garden hose

> Only one spigot in the back of my home- from there on a very short hose is a
> 5 way connector. I branched out each way, including one that is in a pvc
> pipe underground to the back of the yard. (If the hose goes bad, I can just
> pull another one thru) At each of the ends, I bought those metal stakes that
> have a hose hanger as well as a spigot. This allows me to only turn on which
> ever hose I am using. What I found was you can only run one hose connection
> at a time tho... not enough water pressure to run 3-4 sprinklers at a time.
> The plus side is in most areas, I only need a 25ft hose which is much easier
> to manage than those darn 100 ft ones!

I also trenched an 80' 2" wide PVC pipe through the backyard -- I figured
if I ever need electrical back there or something it will be easy to fish
through.  Whenever I need to dig I always try to put in 'conduit' just
in case, especially under patios and stuff.

> The plumber is supposed to be coming tomorrow to assess this issue. He will
> be (hopefully) adding more spigots around the outside of my home. We have
> plenty of water pressure but only so much can come out of one spigot by
> adding more from the main water supply in this house, I am hoping to water
> in more than one area at a time. Since we never finished off our basement,
> he seems to think it will be easy to do this...

When he's there, see if you can find out what's involved in adding a
tap to your water supply before it enters the house.  You can use it
for your irrigation system, and it will make things easier if you
ever decide to increase your service to a larger pipe (they won't have
to redo the indoor plumbing).

> Next step will be an irrigation system, if this works.

I've set up a couple of irrigation systems and I'm really happy with
them.  To have a fully-automated, computer controlled system with up
to 16 zones only cost me about $500 in parts.  I run all of it out of
my computer.

If you decide not to bury the PVC below the frost line (I didn't want
to trench through all of the tree roots) make sure that you get a
compressor capable of putting out 60psi to blow the lines every fall.
I bought a 4 gallon 3HP pancake compressor on sale at Sears and also
get to use it for nailguns, paint sprayers, and other compressor-based
fun.

Chris