To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 11:37 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Plants for the midwest

What you need to do is start watching your new yard for microclimates. Take
pictures when we have the light frosts in the spring and where the snow
(hum, don't know where that has been this year) is deeper. It will help you
decide where to put the more critical to zone plants at.

Plan on doing something about your clay- it will be your worse nightmare
here. (am I preaching to the choir here, sorry)

Don't forget you are welcome to come take cuttings/divisions of stuff I have

What you might find Andrea, is that this area has a few good nurseries that
carry out of the ordinary plants and mail order is actually more expensive
due to shipping. Besides, you can purchase them after they have been through
the 'yucky' stage where they might not make it....

What type of garden are you planning? What color scheme? Give me some idea
of the overall effect you are thinking....