RE: Plants for the midwest

Andrea,

Although I love peonies and lilacs, and grow them both, their seasons are
short and I would probably think twice about them and pick cultivars
carefully before adding lots of either to my garden. Lilac 'Josee' is a
rebloomer, but I haven't grown it: http://snipurl.com/llfr.
 Hydrangeas can give color for a long season, and there are variegated and
chartreuse leaved cultivars. You'll find some good pinks among them.  Phlox
would give you the pink you crave. Daylilies will give you all the strong
colors, plus lots of bloom if you choose right. Helianthus annus 'Lemon
Queen' is a favorite yellow of mine as is Heliopsis 'Summer Sun'.

I love OSMANTHUS HETEROPHYLLUS 'GOSHIKI0' as a small growing shrub.  It
looks like a variegated holly bush. Spirea 'Magic Carpet' starts out bronzy
orange in spring, but changes over to a soft green.  It has bright pink
blooms. Caryopteris 'Grand Blue' has dark green glossy foliage and deep blue
flowers.  Gorgeous! Stays small too! http://snipurl.com/llge

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)