Re: Plants for the midwest/clay

Hello Andrea,
If the clay is draining ok, it is not a "bad thing". Lots of perennials do not have a problem with clay soils. Peonies for one, many grasses. In trees and shrubs the native red buds and dog woods are usually found in clay. Perhaps a bit of planning in advance... some natives that handle clay well, then work in the raised beds.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrea Hodges" <andrea.hodges@sbcglobal.net>
OK my friends: I need suggestions.

I've gotten most of my plant and seed catalogs, and while perfectly capable of
reading what zone these plants will thrive in, I want some suggestions from
you all, as I trust your judgment, and know that if you've been having
success, then hopefully I will to.

I have a rather small yard, so I am interesting in colorful perennials and
small shrubs (evergreens always welcome).
I have a lot of clay, and a lot of sun. I suspect I'll have one small area of

I also like annuals but am more interested in getting a good perennial and
shrub garden started this year with annuals in containers.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. I did take picture of "before" so as soon
as I get those developed I'll post them for you to see. This yard needs help!