Re: OT- animals health issues

Donna, I'm agree with Pam and Theresa. Give him time then make your decision based on the vet's prognosis. I am so sorry for your baby and you as well.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 5:52 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT- animals health issues

Donna, I'm so sorry about your baby! But I would definitely give him time
to adjust. I'm sure it is heartbreaking watching him be disoriented. Hang
in there girl.

On 1/17/06, Christopher P. Lindsey <lindsey@mallorn.com> wrote:

> Donna, I"m sorry to hear that, but I agree with Theresa and Chris. They
do
> adapt. I have a close friend that had a Lab who went blind early in
life.
> She lived to be about 16. She was fine, and followed the other dogs > even
> down to the beach and went swimming.

I did some googling tonight hoping to find a copy of James Herriot's story
online, but I didn't have any luck. It really is a touching true story
about
a dog that loses its vision and how the owner is distraught and calls
James, asking what can be done and fully expecting that the dog should be
put down.

James suggests that he let the dog be and see how things go. Amazingly
enough, the next time that James comes to visit the dog is running
through the fields and jumping over stone walls that it can't even see.

He has a similar story in there about a two-legged dog with both legs
on the same side.

Anyhow, I did find this book which looked like it might be useful, though:

It's called 'Living With Blind Dogs' and has really good reviews.

Chris

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX