Klehm

> Klehm's has a really excellent reputation in this area...even tho some years
> back they got into some serious trouble over undocumented workers. I think
> that is when they moved out of IL. Used to love seeing their fields of blooming
> daylilies along I74 going west out of Champaign. They are well respected for
> quality, service and just plain good plant IQ. I wouldn't hesitate to do
> business with them. Kathy

The problems they had back then were the talk of the horticulture world.
Kit Klehm, the grandson, was in charge of the mailorder portion of the
nursery that ran out of Champaign, Illinois.

It turns out that he had a lot of illegal aliens working for him, and to
top things off, he had a dozen workers sharing a house that he owned and
was charging them high rent against their salaries.

He ended up going to prison for six months.  In the meantime, Klehm promptly
shut down their Champaign operations and moved everything back closer to
home.  Shortly thereafter they changed their name to Song Sparrow.

Despite that incident, they've always been good in the hort industry.  Kit
was the third generation working for that company -- both the father and
grandfather were world-reknowned and responsible for discovering/introducing
a lot of plants.

Kathy, you should stop by the old Klehm's office in Champaign now.  It's
actually owned by a winery (Alto Vineyards) to sell some of their wines grown
in Southern Illinois.  Now that some legal issues over land rights have
been settled they're also planning to plant some grapes there, too.

They have free tastings and some pretty good wines.  In the summer they
have live jazz performances outdoors as well.

   http://www.altovineyards.net/

Chris