RE: Gene's greenhouse

As I recall, you do have more space than some of us. Sounds like you
should move it. Just a matter of where, when, and elbow grease.

Kitty

-- Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
It doesn't get cold enough where I live to need real heat inside the
greenhouse. I put in 3 big plastic drums full of water, figuring it would be
a kind of thermal buffer for when the temps drop. I guess it works.
Sometimes if it is forecasted to get seriously cold I'll run a little floor
heater at night. What I should have done is buy a bigger fan. Even in
winter, when the sun is out it gets hot in there, upwards of 90F. By the end
of March I've moved everything outside. Mid-summer it will get over 120F
(comes in handy if you need to dehydrate veggies or fruit leather).
I have a dilemma now though. When we sited the greenhouse there was this
small struggling sycamore nearby. It was a side of our yard we didn't use
much, didn't irrigate. I didn't figure the sycamore would cause a problem. I
guess it got enough water from what drips onto the greenhouse floor because
it got big in a hurry. Now it shades the greenhouse quite a bit when I bring
in plants end of October, and here the dead leaves hang on the sycamore for
months unless there's a really big wind. On the plus side, most of what I
bring inside is the stuff from my patio which has been in partial shade all
summer anyway. But the tree is not going to get smaller...so I need to
decide what to do about it.

Cyndi