Recently some of you on the list said you were slogging through the new
medicare choices. I received the following explanation from someone when
it first came out but deleted it. I'm glad to say that my sister just
sent it to me again and I thought it might be of some help to you.

 > > President Bush Explains Medicare Drug Bill > >

> > WOMAN IN AUDIENCE: "I don't really understand. How is the new plan going to fix the problem?"

> > PRESIDENT BUSH: (Verbatim response) > > "Because the -- all which is
on the table begins to address the big cost drivers. For example, how
benefits are calculated, for example, is on the table. Whether or not
benefits rise based upon wage increases or price increases. There's a
series of parts of the formula that are being considered. And when you
couple that, those different cost drivers, affecting those -- changing
those with personal accounts, the idea is to get what has been promised
more likely to be -- or closer delivered to that has been promised. Does
that make any sense to you? It's kind of muddled. Look, there's a series
of things that cause the -- like, for example, benefits are calculated
based upon the increase of wages, as opposed to the increase of prices.
Some have suggested that we calculate -- the benefits will rise based
upon inflation, supposed to wage increases. There is a reform that would
help solve the red if that were put into effect. In other words, how
fast benefits grow, how fast the promised benefits grow, if those -- if
that growth is affected, it will help on the red."

Forward this to others -- so they, too, can understand...