Re: Medicare

I think the main reason is SS, Medicare, Medicaid, AFDC, etc, stories are groaners. I've never known anyone--except Peter Khiss at the NYT--who had the slightest interest in covering them and explaining the issues involved, me included. It's also, unfortunately, part of the culture of "news." At National Journal, I got bonuses and raises for big take-outs on DDT and marijuana, but nary a "well done" for a much more difficult-to-write lead article on the state of Medicare.