From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 10:45 AM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net'
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Gene's greenhouse NOW Sycamore

Around here they are a great shade tree. I love mine in the summer, I have a
chair hammock suspended from one branch and I sit under the tree watching a
couple hummingbirds flit about, listening to the pond fountain. The bits of
stuff that drop off aren't a problem for me, either they drop into the front
garden and vanish or I chew 'em up with the lawnmower. The bark can be
lovely as it peels off, showing all sorts of dull green to deep brown
shades. I hear they are food for swallowtail butterflies - sure wish with my
six sycamores I'd see more than two swallowtails a year. But they do have
their drawbacks. Mine always seem to be full of whiteflies by summer's end.
They don't have any fall color; the leaves turn a dull brown and hang onto
the tree for a long time. The dead leaves once off don't make any attempt to
break down or decompose, they just pile up in huge drifts (maybe if I lived
in a wetter climate it would be different). I do have one that is now
showing signs of anthracnose, not so good. I have to have them
professionally trimmed every two years, which is expensive.
If I lived somewhere else I probably wouldn't plant one as close to the
house as mine are now, but I probably would put one in where I could sit
under it in the summer.