Re: Nursery help!

Chris
Each State is slightly different I am told. It took me 10 years of being in business to find out what I need in the way of proper license. First up you need a retail sales license for the state you are in."Registered Retail Merchant Certificate" Indiana Department of Revenue. I am sure you have something similar. Next up you probably need a Nursery Dealers License. Mine came from IN Dept of Natural Resources Division of Entomology & Plant Pathology. Then you get a Certificate of Nursery Inspection for the same department, but different agent who comes out and inspects.
This is where your professional organizations come into play. If you belong to your State Landscape and Nursery Assoc. they would know all that stuff and help you along. There is also the local branch of the Chamber of Commerce for your county to contact.
I am no aware of any federal stuff unless and until you ship outside the US borders then the state handles that with you with a sanitary certificate. you apply for with you state dept of natural resources.
There you have it. Gene

Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Hi everyone,

  So I'm trying to figure out what permits I need to run a mailorder
  nursery and am having a bear of a time finding them.

  Does anyone out there know which federal ones are required?

  I found PPQ FORM 586 - Application for Permit to Transit Plants and/or
  Plant Products through the U.S.  Is that all I need at the federal
  level?

Chris (who wishes this stuff was more clear)