Re: greenhouse/ butterflies

Gene, do you know the botanical of the Pipevine that the butterflies  like??
I've had a butterfly garden for years, and belong to the local  group of
NABA.  From my experiences and others, we've found that the  Pipevine Swallowtails
here only seem to like the A. fimbriata and the natives  species.  No larval
activity on A. gigantea, A. elegans, or A.  grande.  We've even tried to
relocate caterpillars from the A. fimbriata  over to one of these since there was
very little food left......but the  caterpillars died after eating the foliage.
  (No pesticides, so that  wasn't it.)  This was my experience as well as
others.

Had the same experiences here with the Frittilary on Passionvines.   They
seem to only go to the native species of Passiflora, and only one or so of  the
other varieties.  I'm curious what species you (Gene and others) have  had
success with.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 1/22/2006 2:17:04 PM Central Standard Time,