Re: FYI

Any method that works for you is fine by me. Thus far I've generally
just relied on Yahoo for my photo display (but now that Yahoo is sharing
my secrets with the govt, I may need someplace else!)

As to opportunism, it is understood on most forums and chat lists that
people should not try to sell stuff. But this is different in several
ways, Chris. First, though Gardenchat is open to anyone, it has become a
small, long-lived network of friends rather than a public forum. And as
such, we are all interested in helping each other out whether it be with
plants or business leads. I'd be offended if you DIDN'T ask. Second, it
wasn't an *advertisement* for a product, just a mention that you have
services to offer.

And even if you're trying to be careful about the city planners, hey!
you provided a service and you deserve payment. I don't mean you have to
yell and scream about it, but how about sending a copy of the invoice
with "Second Notice" on it?

Kitty

-- "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com> wrote:
> As easy as possible for you. I realize it will be a pain for you to set up,
> and to be honest, doubt you really have the time for this with the new
> nursery. Especially now with the spring orders tying up your time.

There's a couple of different ways to do it.

One would be to just have Web space for people to stick things into so that
they could share any type of photo.  The danger there is bandwidth if
people upload photos that are too large.

Another option would be to have a Web form designed just for virtual tours.
You could write a paragraph for each photo and it would lay them all out
on a page for you automagically with the text off to the side.

> Well who is going to post there? Just this group? (then it could be
> discussed here) or all your groups (in which case your admin list would be
> proper).

For now, probably just gardenchat since that's who I'd like to do it for.
If it works and we open it up later, great.  But I don't know if everyone
here wants to read about it.

> >        We lost a few big customers in the past couple months -- some were
> >        just plain rude and transfered their domains elsewhere without
> >        even paying their bill (that wasn't Heronswood, BTW).
>
> Well that sucks! Do they need a nasty email from all of us? (just kidding)

Unfortunately, one of them was a site for the economic development of
Champaign-Urbana and they have lots of important people on their board.
With the new nursery and me looking to buy land, etc. I should probably
stay under their radar.  :(

> >        I am *not* asking for more donations from you guys.  You've done
> >        enough, and I'd never hit up family for money.  :)
>
> what? Family is supposed to help out each other.... besides, we all use the
> resources...

That's why I don't talk to my family about financial stuff.  Some people
here need the money a lot more than I do.  I can always program or host
Web pages to get funds, so no handouts!  But if you need programming or
something you know where to find me.  ;)

Seriously, I don't want to look like I'm being an opportunist or anything.
If you step back and look at the situation, first I said something that
made people say they appreciated me and hort.net.  Now it could look like
I'm saying 'put your money where your mouth is', and that's nowhere near
what I had in mind.

I'm just looking for more business (preferably high-paying without much
work on my end, LOL).  :)

Chris