Subject: [freecyclelethbridge] Yahoo groups spying on you
From:    "kim" <lezzeeboi@yahoo.ca>
Date:    Sat, January 28, 2006 11:39 am
To:      "free cycle" <freecyclelethbridge@yahoogroups.com>
         lethcafe@yahoogroups.com

      The following was posted to another group i belong to, just  passing
 it along FYI

 If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now
 using &quot;Web Beacons&quot; to track every Yahoo Group user. It's
similar to
 cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group
 you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo.

 Look at their updated privacy statement at
 http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy .

 About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will
 see a link that says WEB BEACONS.

 http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/beacons/details.html

 Click on the phrase &quot;Web Beacons.&quot; On the page that opens, find a
 paragraph entitled &quot;Outside the Yahoo Network.&quot;

 In that section find a little &quot;Click Here to Opt Out&quot; link that
will
 let you &quot;opt-out&quot; of their snooping.

 http://pclick.yahoo.com/p?optout

 Be careful! NOT to click on the next button shown. It is an &quot;Opt
 Back In&quot; button that, if clicked, will UNDO the opt-out.

 Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-
 out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means
 you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

 Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too,
 but I'm not sure if anyone is listening..

 Related article:

 Yahoo Web Beacons Igniting Controversy Yahoo's current privacy
 policy is causing consternation among some users who object to their
 use of so-called 'web beacons'. Known in most circles as web bugs,
 these invisible images are embedded in websites and email and used
 to track your surfing - and even tell whether you've opened a
 particular email.
 http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm

 Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network
in the United States and/or other countries.

   Environment issue
Lethbridge alberta                                       United
states
        Recycling                                       Activism
         YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
     Visit your group "freecyclelethbridge" on the web.